Monday, May 10, 2010

Pretty in Pink

I bought this dresser from a craigslist about two weeks ago. I think I probably paid too much for it at $50, still learning at this point. It's up points are that it's solid real wood and it's large and simple in structure. All the pieces are wood, not plastic. The down points are that it's pine and not heavy hardwood. One thing to remember with wood furniture is that wood that comes from trees that grow quickly, like pine trees for example, is soft and doesn't scratch so much as dent at the slightest trauma. Hard woods come from slow growing, usually deciduous trees. So this would be your maple, hickory, etc. These don't dent, they scratch. Scratches are very easy to sand away. Dents, not so much. Pine is also light and not terribly resistant to breaking.

So, my kind husband drove me out to deep Queen Creek where an eccentric older woman chatted with us about her dogs and repeatedly informed us of her 11 back surgeries. She also rolled her incapacitated husband out of some hidden back room to explain, in detail, his recent experience with suffering a massive stroke. I could practically hear Newell biting his tongue. He hadn't signed on for this.

We brought it home and I began work.



So I went to Walmart thinking I would go with the standard black, but I kept thinking about something my Dad said a long time ago about how I am always painting over wood and how it was a shame that I cover the natural beauty of it. This didn't make me want to refinish this cheap piece of pine furniture, because I personally think wood grain is out of fashion right now. But it made me think about changing it up a little. I don't know how my Dad's voice in my head helped me pick out this color, but it did.

It's called Ballet Slipper and it's a Krylon color. I think it's really perfect for a certain kind of bedroom. Pink is my favorite color, has been all my life. I hope that when I am 90 and drooling I still prefer pink roses over white. It's a little bit of the little girl in all of us women.














1 comment:

Brent & Emily Slade said...

That is SO cute! You are so talented!