Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dresser and Armoir--- Fun in my Garage

I picked up two more pieces from Goodwill. I keep thinking about those "before and after" shows like Design on a Dime and Designed to Sell. We all like them... some of us more than others. I would put myself in the more category. I am ashamed to say I even enjoyed Extreme Makeover, the regular edition. The one where they mangled people and made them look like strange plastic versions of themselves. I liked the before and after aspect of it. So here are two ugly girls in need of plastic surgery. The Armoir portion comes tomorrow.

The dresser struck me just because it was unusual and was, once again, solid wood with the dovetail construction on the backs of the drawers. It is also unusual because it is tall and narrow. It was a little pricey for Goodwill at $40, but I didn't see anything else there that day. I broke one of my own rules, which is, always be willing to walk out empty handed.

So I brought her home and sanded her down, meanwhile discovering the scent of cedar during the sanding. Then Newell came home and pointed out a few indicators showing this was a home made piece. I probably would not have bought it if I would have known that. I am trying to see if I can turn this hobby into a money making venture, and I think the style of the piece is a little unplaceable. I listed it on craigslist and didn't know what to call it. Not shabby chic, not classical, certainly not french provincial.

But I do feel some satisfaction in one thing. As I carefully cleaned and sanded and painted and fixed this piece, I thought over and over again about the carpenter. I am sure he made it in his shop, carefully planed and then sanded and stained each individual piece. Then he carved a pretty design in each door. No doubt he was making it for someone, I would guess a woman, maybe a wife or daughter, and no doubt he thought about her as he made it. He put thought into it's natural beauty, the waving lines of the cedar planks, and made the shiny finish perfect for her. It made me think about love and the things we do for each other. Then it was used, certainly for years, maybe even decades, and maybe passed down. Then in became antiquated, supposedly "ugly," and then someone dropped it off at the donations center at the Queen Creek Goodwill. It reminded me of the Velveteen Rabbit.

But I digress... here are the Before and After photos. Enjoy.















2 comments:

Brent & Emily Slade said...

love it! You are so good with this!

tegner two said...

love it as well:) and all the other pieces you've done.i can't to begin doing projects like this, and when i do i'm coming to you for advice!